The Virginia Beach chapter is currently engaged in the following campaigns.
Cigarette butts are one of the most common and most disgusting forms of litter found on our beaches. Cigarette butts are made from a synthetic fiber type of plastic, which takes years to break down. The Virginia Beach chapter supports banning smoking at our beaches. Our first hurdle will be to convince the State Legislature to allow individual cities to enact and enforce such a law. In the meantime, we have assembled data by collecting and counting cigarette butts that we gathered during beach cleanups. We will use this evidence to raise awareness and educate the public about the realities of cigarette litter on our beaches. We are also involved in a Cigarette Litter Prevention Program at the Virginia Beach Oceanfront. See details here. If you want to get involved, email Christina at firstname.lastname@example.org Nick at email@example.com
Rise Above Plastics
Plastic pollution poses a significant threat to our planet. The problem with plastic is that it does not biodegrade, so virtually every piece of plastic that was ever made still exists. Once it enters the marine environment, plastic trash is often mistaken by animals for food, and can be fatal. The Virginia Beach chapter is dedicated to reduce the impacts of plastics in Hampton Roads by raising awareness about the dangers of plastic pollution and advocating for a reduction of single-use plastics and the recycling of all plastics. If you want to get involved, email Christina at firstname.lastname@example.org.
10 easy ways to reduce your plastic footprint:
- Purchase reusable cloth shopping bags.
- Use a Nalgene or stainless steel water bottle.
- Refuse straws and single-serve packaging.
- Bring a reusable lunch bag or cooler to work.
- Bring your to-go mug to the coffee shop.
- Go digital! Buy your music and videos online.
- Recycle plastics, especially #1 (PETE) or #2 (HDPE).
- Support plastic bag bans, foam bans, and recycling bills.
- Volunteer at one of our monthly beach cleanups!
- Talk to your family and friends!